Friday, September 28, 2007

Heavy Cream

Carson and I like to dine out at a local pub that does a good hamburger, a very good potato coddle, and a decent full breakfast (I like the coddle and the hamburger, Carson is mad for the full breakfast) (yes we do know what's in black pudding, your point?). The ambiance is good, it sits right on the river, and they serve coke products.

What they don't do well is dessert. I'm not really sure why, but they routinely miss the mark. One of their best, most consistent desserts is their bread pudding. I like it in the traditional way served with heavy cream (they will also serve it with ice cream). The last time I was in, I ordered the bread pudding with heavy cream. When the dessert arrived it was clear the poor skinny waif had no idea what heavy cream was because instead of pudding with a bit of high-fat dairy I was served a bowl full of milk with a little bit of pudding. She had clearly understood "heavy cream" as "heavy on the cream."

It took me the better part of the night to figure out why she had drowned the bread pudding in milk; when I finally did, I couldn't stop laughing. Now when one of us misunderstands the other Carson and I will look over and say "heavy cream." We can't help but laugh. But seriously what has happened to our culinary traditions when waitresses don't know what heavy cream is? I despair sometimes.

No comments: