Friday, September 21, 2007

Neil Gaiman's Stardust

Carson and I went to see Stardust at the theater last night. He had been reluctant to go, having not read the book. I had been anticipating it for months before it was released. I was also a little apprehensive. The seeming over-emphasis in the publicity on the characters played by DeNiro and Pfeiffer concerned me. I was worried that the transition from novel to film would render a delicate and nuanced plot into a broad comedy or stereotypical witch and wizard fantasy (not of course that I mind either type of film in general). As we purchased our tickets the manager of the theater gave it a raving reveiw, saying that he had purhaps enjoyed the movie even more than he enjoyed the book.
Now, I don't have to tell any of you how exceptionally rare it is that a movie holds even a candle to a book let alone shine as brightly. Stardust however both as film and novel told a charming and sensitive story. I would recomend this film to just about anybody.

No comments: