Saturday, March 31, 2007

Last Night I dreamt I returned to Memphis

Actually, I'm there often in my dreams; I just like the line. No last night had had three pretty good ones.

1) While out for a walk in the neighborhood where I grew up I noticed that the smoothie/coffee bar on the corner appeared to have gone out of business. I noted to my brother, John, that it was unfortunate because it had nice ambiance and a good feel. I tried to predict what would take its place. I voted for one of those modern head shops. It could have jewelry, incense, t-shirts with naughty sayings, music, home (mother's basement) decor, absurd shoes, and the like.
John got tired of the conversation and announced that he was going to go to lunch, but we had to change. So we went home and John changed into colonial period clothes, which were very dashing. I was having trouble getting into my colonial period clothes. John implied that it was because I was too large a woman for the period (which just isn't true, there have always been fat women), but I pointed out that it was the petticoats I was having trouble with. He jot mad and left and I changed back into my jeans. This is the point at which the dream becomes weird.
Because of the zombies outside, I had to be very careful as I walked to the campus of the boarding school. I also had to be careful because I had neglected to put on shoes. Turns out this school was a boys school and the smaller kids were all quite frightened. The older boys were just mean, but they thought they knew of a place where there wouldn't be zombies. SO we begin walking. I goof and imply to one of the boys that because he died as a character in a Stephen King novel he was pretty much a goner here. That freaked him out and so I had to take it all back. At one point we had to descend into a storm drain, it was handy though, because some one had cached a rather lot of supplies (including shoes). All the shoes were too big for me, but one of the pairs were canvas tennis shoes which I could wrench down pretty tight so that it basically fit.
We walked out of the drain into a snowed over urban landscape, somebody had plowed the roads but we had to walk in the roadway because the side walks were clogged up. While we were underground the zombies had learned to drive, so walking in the road was not the safest of all the options. Meanwhile a pregnant zombie had crept up behind us. She blamed us for the death of her baby (totally unfair charge, her baby died when she became on one the undead, which we had nothing to do with). She came around the front of me and I tried to convince her to be happy instead with a pizza box I had found by the road; it diverted her for a while, but then she came after me again so I ran back towards a back hoe. Two more zombies came at me from the side, and I tried to take them all out with the shovel of the hoe, but it was frozen stuck. I woke up, and had a hell of a time going back to sleep.

2) I was a counselor at a summer camp that was being run by Admiral Adama. The seemed to be a serial killer on the loose. Also all these teens were in spiritual crisis, so taking a break from hunting down the killer I delivered a kick-ass sermon about using more metaphors for God than just the disapproving Father. It was beautiful and poetic, and such a sweet speech that when I was done Adama dumped a cooler of Gatorade on me. I then had to find a way to modestly walk to the back of the field for my jacket as I had been wearing a white shirt. When I got to the back of the field I put on my jacket and looked up into one of the trees. There was a kid up there hanging in the tree. I let out a Hollywood worthy scream. Adama came over, his son was very upset (not the son from the show, younger like a really young James Franco) because he had really liked the kid in the tree. Adama, spotting a roll of scotch double-sided tape, called up for the kid to come down and stop fooling around. He explained that the kid had been seeking some attention. We didn't find the real killer because I woke up.

3) The third one is very very long, and a bit disjointed so I'll pass on telling it. But it had to do with travel and planes and hotels and airports, It was crazy. Trust me.

No comments: