Monday, August 25, 2008

Be Afraid

This weekend there was an Irish cultural festival downtown at the riverside. Originally the plan had been for Mom and Dad to attend as well, but their car self-destructed on the way up so they ended up towing it home and missing out. Which might have been just as well, the weather turned out to be extremely muggy and down right hot from time to time. So Carson and I decided to limit our festing to just two acts. One of which was a group in which on of Carson's co-workers plays and the other was the exhibition by one of the local step dancing schools. Both of these events took place in the tent adjacent to the pitch so I could watch the field of play as well. I was a happy if sweating camper.
About halfway through the band's set the first of the step dancers began to appear. The one who wear wigs already had them on (here is a good example of the wigs I'm talking about), but in deference to the heat and sun the only bits of the outfits many of them had on were the knee socks. Rounding out their appearance, heavy make up, dark sunglasses, jutting lower jaws, and whatever it is that teens are wearing these days. As I gazed upon their unsmiling face I was stuck with the impression that I had wandered upon some new kind of gang and that I really really didn't want to meet any of these girls in a dark alley. Carson said maybe the heat was getting to me.
Now, to be clear: I'm sure these girls are all very nice and wholesome. They certainly are good dancers. The show was good this year as it was in previous years. We will watch them again next year. Still watch out for hooligan step dancers, and remember that I warned you first.

No comments: