Monday, March 17, 2008

I've got to get my geek on

Once long ago... long long ago. Somebody I respected and trusted turned to me and said, "Oh, Katherine, lighten up." Instruction I took to heart, and not a moment too soon, I assure you. Since then I have sought out past times that are not so very serious. As my hobbies, pastimes, amusements, and diversions amassed I discovered and then embraced my geek-hood.
So, when things get too serious, or when I have too many conversations of a professional nature, or even when I hear that little inner voice say, "Oh, Katherine, lighten up," I get my geek on. How? I'm glad you asked. Here is a small list:

Online Distractions: Ad Report Card on Slate.com and Stupidranger.com make for good reading, but if you're in need of less cerebral offerings there's always addictinggames.com. Beware however the name says it all. As the title of this post suggests, I spend a goodly amount of time on Funny or Die. If you haven't seen the landlady yet you owe it to yourself to watch; go on, you deserve it.

Video Games: I've already mentioned elsewhere about the trouble Rock Band is getting me into, in addition to that Civilization IV, Neverwinter Nights (just the first one for now, will give the sequel another try after upgrading the computer). Diablo 2 and I are currently on break (pathetic creature I am, I always return). Speaking of my pathetic side I have also fallen under the weird spell of time management games namely in the form of Diner Dash 2. Whenever the disk resurfaces, I will be playing Dungeon Keeper 2 again, it's simply genius.

The written word: Voracious and unapologetic reader that I am, this list would not be complete without noting some of the things I read simply for the joy of it. Jayne Ann Krentz and Elizabeth Lowell, Nora Roberts in her many guises, Laurell K. Hamilton (both the Anita Blake and the Merry Gentry), Neil Gaiman, Simon Green, Terry Pratchett, Jeffery Deaver, Kim Harrison, J.K. Rowling, Dianna Gabaldon. There are others, but these I always snap up when I see a new title.

Role Playing: I play with two different groups, and hope to be back in the DM's saddle soon. Currently one group is approaching the climax of an epic level campaign, While the other is just beginning. I'm playing a Gnome Duelist/Illusionist in the one and a Half-Elf Wilder in the other. The epic campaign is in Forgotten Realms, the one that is just beginning is one a recently re-vamped home grown world, and the campaign I am planning is on Ravenloft. I have in the past LARPed with Vampire, the Masquerade which was fun. I also briefly played Marvel, Call of Cathulu and TMNT, but those were years ago now.

On the Telly: Well that's a bit misleading, between Netflix streaming stuff and DVRs I hardly ever watch anything live anymore (especially since Heroes is off at the moment). Still things I watch: Torchwood and Dr. Who from BBC, Reaper and Psych, Heroes, Lost, Battlestar Gallactica, Supernatural, Anime like Ghost in the Shell and Descendants of Darkness, Red Dwarf, Farscape, and always always West Wing.

So that's a short list. What do you guys do for fun?

No comments: