Sunday, October 7, 2007

New Irking trend

Well not so much a new trend, as one that has recently begun to irk me. Churches that don't update their websites with important information regarding things like service times.
Carson and I have been trying to attend St. Paul, a UCC church in Pekin, IL for several weeks ...mostly it was our own faults that we hadn't attended, but the one Sunday we have our act together I checked the website at least six times (so there would be no mistakes). The site (an official site, as far as I could tell) said the church had two services one at 8:15 and one at 10:45 with church school in between.

We arrived at the church in plenty of time for the 10:45 service only to discover that the church has changed to having a 9:00 service with church school to follow. We snuck out of the church so as to avoid having to explain the problem. I don't feel people need to call to check out information that is published online on an official site.

Yes, I know that by in large church websites are maintained be volunteer amateurs. Yes I also know that if we had sucked it up and talked to someone at the church they would have been made aware that two of the most coveted church goers, the young couple first time visitor, had been unable to worship with them because their website has bad intel. Ouchy.

We still plan to attend worship at St. Paul's but I can imagine others who would simply move on to another congregation that demonstrated an understanding of how people my age seek out information.

No comments: