Thursday, May 24, 2007

Where I've been 2

I was away a while ago, geographically, away from the internet more or less, but I've been here at home for over a week now. I seem to have been away from you, my dear imaginary readers. I wonder, really, who reads this. I got nothing. I've been listening to David Sedaris read Dress Your Family in Denim and Corduroy. His dry simple delivery the nonchalance over the important ...the crystal clear observation of the mundane. It was what I had always hoped for a blog, or book, or conversation, or sermon, but realize now that I want it too much to achieve, crushing really. I too had wanted to tell a story about nothing but in such a way as the story was quite more than nothing it would become a statement about American life and the emptiness of being modern. The big things I've been doing, attending funerals, traveling across the country, preaching, interviews, employment there are many stories to tell, but my heart for telling them has departed.



I dreamt last night that Jamie Eubanks and I went grocery shopping. We were living in an apparent police state, and Jamie had been wanted by the state police, but had tricked them into arresting somebody else (now that I type it, that's really horrible). He seemed uninterested in produce; I bought limes because my father was coming to town, oranges and orange rinds  (for the zest I guess, and they were so much cheaper than the whole orange), candied fruit for a fruitcake, hot dog buns because Jamie had eaten the last of them in a post-church camp frenzy (that's the explanation he gave me, said frenzy did not occur in the dream) I awoke as I was considering whether or not I needed to buy eggs. strange dream.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: