Thursday, April 5, 2007

A New (to me) Favorite Hymn Writer

Oh there are many of course, and so many writers of favorite hymns whose names are lost to history. There are a few though, who seem to do no wrong in the field of hymn writing. Bren Wren has long led that pack in my opinion, but a name I have just added to the list id Thomas H. Troeger.



Troeger is the wordsmith who gave the world "A Cheering Chanting Dizzy Crowd" (my new favorite Palm Sunday hymn), "God Made from One Blood" (a good hymn for many occasions), "How Long, O God, How Long" (a meditation on loss in short meter), and "Source and Sovereign, Rock and Cloud" (a superb hymn about not pigeon-holing God). This is just a sample, and only a few of his contributions to The Chalice Hymnal (my denomination's hymnal). Look this guy up. Use his hymns; sing new songs!





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: